This project was so exciting to do, cant wait to show you the process. It’s Audrey Hepburn’s iconic black dress in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. I decided to do a remake of it, but shorter in length. It was not complicated at all,and it’s simplicity never runs out of style. I found three satin robes at the fleece market, and knew they would be perfect for the project. I however ended up only using two, one is shown below.
Below is a fast forward video on how i made the dress. Here it goes:
If you prefer text more, read on below.
- Start by separating all the seams on the robe, so as to lay the patterns.
- Fold the center back of the robe (after separating the seams) and place your front skirt pattern. Pin it and cut with seam allowance, if it’s not already included in the patterns. Mark the darts.
- Now take the center fronts of the robe and place them right sides facing each other. Place your back pattern on them and cut.Mark the darts.
- One robe is done with, so take the other one and place the center back on fold, as we did previously. Take your front and back patterns as shown in the picture tutorial, and cut. Mark the darts.
- Using the left over front pieces, cut the linings of these front pieces. You will use the same patterns.
- You’re now done cutting.
- Stitch all the darts and iron them.
- Join the pieces together, and add a back zip.
- Hem the garment, iron, and you are done.
I had earrings, but i did not have a hat like she does in the movie, i however had a fascinator i had bought a long time ago for a show. I used that instead. Luckily i had a fake pearl necklace (yeah, it’s not real at all), my sisters sunglasses, and a knitting needle that i covered with black paper and tape. For the gloves, they weren’t even gloves, just some last minute slip-ons i made. For the shoes, i can proudly say I’am happy i once bought black pumps (which i never wear), maybe they were meant for photo-shoots only!
This is one dress that is for sure not going out of style, anytime soon.
Here’s the Audrey Hepburn dress in action.))