Pinafore dress – A sleeveless apron-like dress, worn over a blouse/sweater.
I made this pinafore dress from a piece of clothing i found at the fleece market, i loved the texture and colour of the fabric. I wasn’t sure of what to make with it, but finally got this idea.
I’ve been seeing them around and decided to try my own. Its very basic and easy to do, as it doesn’t have too much going on. I can’t say I am the biggest fan of trendy items but they do tend to grow on me time and again,(like in some of my previous tutorials)
Lets get to the tutorial. Below is a fast forward version i did.
I might change the thumbnail of that hopefully soon. I am literally on my toes with making videos and writing blog posts. Everything is moving so fast, especially as am new to this whole thing, but I’am really enjoying every moment since I’am learning so much.
For those who prefer text, read on below.
- Measure from the hem of the garment to the waist, the length essentially, and mark. I measured from the hem so that i could use the already finished one.
- Place the fabric on fold, and cut on the markings while leaving some seam allowance.
- Put that aside, and use the left-over fabric to cut the waistband, straps and front piece.
- Cut the waistband on fold, and add a bit more allowance for it to wrap over. I didn’t think of doing this until later, when i realized i didn’t want to add a zipper .( I ended up having some extra seams, but it turned alright according to me.)
- Now cut the front piece using another dress/top as a guide (optional). You can just measure it out on the fabric, but i tend to really want to see where the measurement are exactly on the garment. Use this piece to cut the lining.
- After this, decide the width of your straps and cut on fold for them to self finish once stitched. They could be around 4cm (more or less) depending on how you want it. For the length, take your tape measure and place it on your shoulders. Measure from where the front piece starts to where the back of the waistband begins. You can adjust this when wearing the dress.
Your done with cutting the pieces!
To join them together, gather the bottom skirt piece to fit the waistband only until where it starts to extend for the overlap.
Take the front piece and join it at the sides to the lining, right sides facing each other, so you can then turn it.
Now take the front piece and sandwitch it between the two waistbands.
For the straps, stitch them inside out, then turn and iron. Sandwitch them to the front piece and stitch. For the lower part that’s going to be joined to the back of the waistband, turn it inside just a bit and stitch, then join it to the back in criss cross way. Unless you want a different design of course.
Finish the waistband by joining each of the sides, and then stitching the inner waistband to the gathered piece.
Attach your pres studs and iron the garment, and your pinafore dress is done!
I hope it wasn’t too complicated(my explaining), thanks for reading!