I’ve been meaning to make a wrist pincushion for a long time, but never got to it. Finally i did, and i have to admit, i wanted something real quick, so i made the easiest i could think of at the time. I have since then thought of other ways that don’t require sewing, but the sewed ones usually seem much better to me.
You will need:
Fabric(Not too big)
Needle and thread
Stuffing – cotton wool or sponge(preferable)
Below is a fast forward version of how i did it.
If you prefer text, read on below.
- Measure and draw out a circle 6”x 6”.
- Tuck round the edges with your needle and thread.
- Now pull to create a hollow shape.
- Take your stuffing and place it inside the hollow shape, then pull it again to close. Fasten it with a couple of stitches.
- Now take your elastic and wrap it round your wrist. Let it not be too tight or too loose. Once you have the measurement, cut the elastic and use it to cut out another piece of fabric.
- This piece should be double the elastic width + seam allowance, and a bit longer as well. This is in order to accommodate the elastic stretching.
- Now fold it right sides facing each other, and stitch the one long side, leaving the other two sides unstitched ( This is where the elastic will pass through). It will create a sort of tunnel.
- When done with that, take a safety-pin and pin it to a single side of the fabric, then enter it through the tunnel, while pulling the fabric, until it’s completely turned to the right side.
- Remove the safety-pin, and then pin it to the elastic, which will now be entered into the tunnel. Push the safety-pin, then pull the fabric, till the whole elastic is in. After this, stitch the elastic and tunnel together at both ends.
- Now, join the elasticated wrist band you just made, and stitch it onto the pincushion you stuffed before.
- Lastly, join both ends of the wrist band with a sewing machine, or hand needle, and your done. Cut off any hanging threads.
You can now place your pins on your new wrist pincushion and have it on the go. It’s so irritating having to get up all the time, because you forgot your pincushion on the other end of the room.
Hope you enjoyed this post, and perhaps learnt something new.