Hey there, today i’d like to show you how to add darts to a garment. Have you ever had a garment that seemed a bit off simply because it needed more shaping? Well i have, and i’am going to show you how i fixed it. I’ll be adding the darts to a jacket of mine, which i actually did a tutorial on. Lets get started, you will need:
- Your garment
- A tape measure/ ruler
- Tailors chalk
- And the obvious( your machine, etc)
I’am adding darts to the back of my blazer, but you can use the same method for the front , or for another garment as well.
First wear your jacket to know how much you need to take in. We a use 5cm for this example.
- Lay out your jacket, and locate your waist point.
- You can use your chalk to mark the waist line. The center back line divides the back in half, so on both sides of the waist line, find the middle as i’ve shown above.
- Now take your measurement (5cm), and divide it by two, which is 2.5cm. This means each dart will be 2.5cm wide. Therefore each side of one dart will be 1.25cm. Mark those points.
- To get the length of your darts, mark a line at the armscye points, and go down 13cm from the waistline(13cm is what they use on the pattern making book i use).
- Now join the lines to draw the dart.
- To stitch the dart, pin key points, such as the center back, so that the fabric doesn’t move around. I also pinned the center of the dart.
- Fold the dart in half and follow the guideline. Repeat for the other side. And that’s how to add darts to a blazer!
NB: There is a more professional way to add darts, which involves separating the lining from the main fabric and adding the darts to both individually. This is just a quick way to do it.;))